[MUD-Dev] Selling training

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Fri Mar 2 21:35:13 CET 2001

I was looking over Achaea's purchases yesterday, and noticed 3
purchases totaling about $700 from one person. I noticed that he also
transferred all the credits he got from that (2400) to another player
immediately. This was very odd, as usually large credit transfers only
happen when someone buys a lot of something else (or something very
valuable) from someone else, for credits. For instance, 1000 credits
used to buy a whole load of gold.

Anyway, I was curious so I asked the player what was going on, and to
my great surprise, I found out that one player is actually selling,
for huge amounts of credits, his services as a combat trainer. I
talked to the player serving as a combat trainer, and he tells me that
he's got a few people lined up to train for between $500 and $1500 in
credits (which is excellent for us, as those credits get bought from
us to begin with). I was floored. I've never heard of such a
thing. Granted, the player selling the training is the most successful
combatant in Achaea's history, but still, that seems amazing to
me. Incidentally, by training, I do not mean any sort of in-game
method of increasing stats or gaining access to new abilities,
etc. Purely an out-of-character transfer of knowledge.

Is this sort of thing common? I mean, this guy is going to be earning
a few thousand dollars, minimum, in the near future from basically
acting like a coach for other players. That's COOL.

--matt