[MUD-Dev] Question about Cygwin.

Chris Gray cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
Mon Mar 5 23:19:18 CET 2001

> From: Chris Bunting <spindiggy at yahoo.com>

> This has nothing to do with Mud Dev but this is the only list I've
> used in the past. I'll make this quick too. Sorry for the off topic
> post.

Sounds entirely relevant to me. Mud-dev used to be quite technical, and
this kind of question would have been pretty normal.

> My Question, If a mud server, Rom, Merc, Smaug ECT codebase is
> compiled with Cygwin under windows, Will it still allow multiplayer
> support?

I believe the answer is yes. My ToyMUD server (see my web site), compiles
and runs fine under several variants of Unix and under Windows NT (didn't
try any other versions). There are a few changes needed to do proper
initialization of the Windows socket code, and you have to be a bit
forgiving about some error return types, etc. Other than that, the only
issue was that a control-C typed in the console window you start the
server from will not cause system calls to be interrupted. The signal
handler runs in a separate thread, and can do whatever it wants, such
as setting a "shutdown requested" flag. If you check that flag when you
come out of a socket call, you can then do your shutdown. If you use
"select", and make sure that your minimum timeout is a few seconds, then
there is no big difference.

I can't speak for performance - the only experience I have with Windows
socket performance was with UDP, and that a couple of years ago.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/