[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Freeman Freeman
Tue Mar 6 07:42:05 CET 2001

> From: the_logos at www.achaea.com [mailto:the_logos at www.achaea.com]

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Daniel James wrote:
> > Well, we had a fair old bit of coverage at the time, and perm death
> > was reasonably well received as an idea (without any disclosure on
> > how it would be controlled, save that it would). Admittedly our
> > early audience were mostly of the Tolkien old-school, and many were
> > pleased that there would be no uncanonical resurrection (don't say
> > 'Beren').
>
> But wasn't Sierra's LOTR 'permadeath' really not permadeath? Didn't
> most of the work and time invested in the character go to amember of
> that character's family, who the player then took over?

You can see the same thing on the SWG boards - players asking for
permadeath.  I suspect a *lot* of that audience (and LOTR's) aren't
MUD players, and don't really realize what they are asking for.  You
don't see people asking for it on the UO2 boards, for example, and
certainly not on any boards associated with EQ.  If or when there's a
Harry Potter message board, I bet people start asking for permadeath
in Harry Potter Online.  But that's because they are fans of Star
Wars, or Harry Potter, or LOTR, or whatever - as opposed to being fans
of massively multiplayer online gaming.

I think it's just the audience.  Fans of the setting ask for
permadeath.  Fans of multiplayer online gaming don't.