[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Tue Mar 6 09:25:37 CET 2001

According to the_logos at www.achaea.com:

> But wasn't Sierra's LOTR 'permadeath' really not permadeath? Didn't
> most of the work and time invested in the character go to amember of
> that character's family, who the player then took over?

None of the very few MMOG out there have a "pure" perma-death concept,
i.e., when your character dies, all you take with you on the next one
(if any) is what you - as a player - learned out of the game. They all
feature a form of player-tied XP points.

Atriarch, another MMOG to feature perma-death, uses spawns : i.e. you
may attempt at any time to reproduce (using various esoteric methods,
since it's all about aliens). This produce avatars that are inactive,
but, once activated, will have huge bonuses to gain character skills
up to the level their parent had at the spawn time.

At death, you activate one of your spawns, eventually inherit what you
can inherit (I assume everything but what you had on you, and even
then), and proceed from there.

One of Atriarch's twist is that, apparently, you can also make one of
your spawn available, so that another player (neither you nor the
player can determine which spawn is used in this manner from the
entire pool of 'free' spawns) may become one of your descendents. But,
like real life, you cannot choose your family.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!