[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Tue Mar 6 09:56:38 CET 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard A. Bartle <richard at mud.co.uk>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 2:08 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

> On 28th February, 2001, Dave Rickey wrote:

>> Didn't help, even though the "bad guys" were actually losing *more*
>> in death than they were gaining from killing.

> So long as the good guys care and the bad guys don't, penalties like
> this aren't ever going to get rid of the hard core of PKers.

Well, that was kind of my point.  Why would PD work, where statloss
didn't?

>> And once you start handing get out of jail free cards out, where do
>> you stop?

> Well personally I stop when I've nailed shut all the doors I know
> about. It should never be the case that people get killed with
> absolutely no means of defending themselves.

There will always be a power gap between the specialized PK, who goes
out ready to fight other players, and the general run of player.

>> There will always be *someone* who feels they should have gotten
>> their character back, and didn't.

> You have to be fair. If you're fair and the player still won't give
> up, give up. Caving in to them will cost you more in the long run
> than standing up to them.

Players *don't* respect "fair".  I really wish they did, but they've
learned "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", if you bitch long enough
and loud enough, everything is negotiable.

>> There's nothing ingenious about being the 34925th person to train a
>> Giant on someone in EQ, but odds are it's happening right now.

> Well if the developers haven't done anything about the previous
> 34,924 occurrences, one can only assume they're happy with it the
> way it is.

Hardly, if only because of the CS overhead it creates.

>>> The best of both worlds. Explain why you think it's the worst?

>> PD, and all the effects therefrom, including PD by proxy, *and*
>> effectively immortal characters for anyone who avoids the PD areas.

> The effects of PD aren't bad if people elect to undertake the risk -
> it's clear, concise and consensual.

> The effective immortality isn't a bad thing unless you can do
> everything as an effective immortal that someone who has gone off
> and been heroic can do. If you don't get anything but cosmetic
> differences extra for having risked yourself, then yes, the
> effective immortality of others makes you look a sucker and it is
> bad.

So the PD areas are a "trial by fire"?  Level up as much as you can
without entering them, then try to survive your wanderjahr?

--Dave Rickey