[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

shren shren at io.com
Tue Mar 6 10:13:27 CET 2001

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, msew wrote:

> So I was reading this
> url:  http://www-news.uchicago.edu/citations/2001/010211.thaler.html
>
> Check out this quote :-)

> For a while, Thaler regarded such anomalies as mere cocktail-party
> fodder. But in 1976 he happened upon the work of two psychologists,
> Daniel Kahneman and the now-deceased Amos Tversky, who had been
> studying many of the same behaviors as Thaler. The two had noticed a
> key pattern: people are more concerned with changes in wealth than
> with their absolute level -- a violation of standard theory that
> explained many of Thaler's anomalies. Moreover, most people are "loss
> averse," meaning they experience more pain from losses than pleasure
> from gains. This explains why investors hate to sell losers. For
> Thaler, their work was an epiphany. He wrote to Tversky, who plainly
> encouraged him. "He took me seriously," Thaler recalled, "and because
> of that, I started taking it seriously."
> <<< END QUOTE <<<
>
> With a PD world going to have a lot of pain out there :-)

Yes, but it's a constant pleasure to still be alive.  Do they balance?
When you succeed in something that could cause your character
permanent irreprable but didn't, you feel happy.  On my current online
game of choice, Ackadia, some days walking from the bank to the bakery
can be a deadly experience.

Last night I soloed a Titan on Ackadia.  In a non-pd world, nobody
would care, because you can do anything if you try enough times.  In
this pd world, a significant number of the current online players
actually came out to look at the corpse.  Why is it more exciting when
death is always hanging over your head?  I lack the words to explain.

--
  A *precautionary* *measure*?  I should disconnect your head from your
neck as a precautionary measure!