[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 7 04:02:54 CET 2001

Matt wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Richard A. Bartle wrote:

>> On 26th February, 2001, msew wrote:

>>> And clerics would become ultra powerful, as dying and then having
>>> to spend 10 days to remake my exp would not be acceptable.

>> Why would this make clerics powerful?

> Or, why assume that you have clerics at all? And why assume that if
> you do, they can resurrect dead people? There is a very large (and
> to me very annoying) presumption by many people on this list that we
> all make games that are basically taken straight out of TSR
> products.

Excellent.  We've been living with these 4 character stereotypes (ie
cleric, fighter, wizard, thief) since the 70's..  They even permeate
modern games and sci-fi games.  (medic, soldier, techie, spy).. etc.
Add anything new to the game... and one is forced to describe it in
terms of "well the frobozz is like a cleric and a mage...blah blah"

There are a number of great games which only feature players as
wizards vs. everyone else. (or players as vampyres vs. the living
world)

I want to see Lemonade Wars! ... a fantastic new mud where young
entrepreners wage fierce battles over location, wrestling with
inventories and pricing, fickle mother nature, unreliable employees
and their lawyers on their way to leveling their way up to meet the
ultimate challenge.. the dreaded Orange Julius.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--