[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Timothy Dang tdang at U.Arizona.EDU
Fri Mar 9 07:38:08 CET 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Travis Casey wrote:

> To semi-quote Robert Plamondon in his book _Through Dungeons Deep: A
> Fantasy Gamer's Handbook_:
>
>   "The story of a great hero isn't complete until it recounts that
>   hero's great and noble death."

I wonder how much does that mean the death must have a good story?
Certainly one of my all-time-favorite paper RPG memories is of a
particularly poignant death of my character. The manner of the death
was well-tuned by a creative GM to the story, and the particulars of
my character. I don't regret this death.

I don't imagine that such a thing would be likely to happen in a MUD,
so I don't know if I could ever get the same satisfaction. I'm not a
serious RPer, though. Perhaps those who are can build the good stories
from surface events which are more mechanical?