FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 11:07:02 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 7:36 PM
Subject: RE: FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

> Matt Mihaly writes:

>> "Hey Paul!" says I. "The key to the Garden of the Holy Lemon Tree
>> is buried under the statue of St. Meyer the Beloved. Say
>> 'porkmelon' to make the statue move."

>> Paul trundles off to the Garden and gravely utters the magic word
>> 'porkmelon.'
>> "Hmmmm." says Paul. "Porkmelon."
>> Paul taps his foot impatiently.
>> "PORKMELON!"
>> (The statue continues to stand in the background, defiantly unmoved.)

This seems to work fine AFAICS. The assumption is that there is indeed
something "special" about being told by whichever NPC orginally told
the human player who *can* use the word. It is a simple matter to have
some in-game actions require that the character knows the information,
and that others work with character knowledge and also with player
knowledge.

If people disseminating knowledge is such a Bad Thing in certain cases
(its easy to invent these certain cases, but I haven't seen any
argument that it is universally a problem), then might it not be
feasible just to make the knowledge in those particular cases
changeable? If, for instance, there is a password to allow access to
some guild, put the password in the hands of the players, and allow
them to change it.

Or if it becomes clear that too many people know the answers to your
Sphinxes riddles, then change the riddles.

Adam M