[MUD-Dev] Re: Cyberspace in the 21at century-- (long)

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Sat Mar 10 07:41:17 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Crowell" <frankc at maddog.com>

> When object or attributes have value, then the possiblity of cloning
> or attribute tampering is real.  We have already seem cases like
> this with our c/s model in the dupe bugs.  This is one of the
> reasons why I believe that some kind of digital object security
> system has to be devloped.  LEDO (limited edition digital object)
> seems to be a dead-end and I don't know of anyone doing something
> similar.

I'm not aware of LEDO and don't know how similar this is, but I intend
to timestamp each object on my game and give a secondary integer value
(that's being incremented for each object and reset after the max
value).  The chances of hundreds of objects being created
simultaneously in the same millisecond are slim at best.  In a
distributed system (which mine is not, I just want to be able to check
for duplicate objects) you could add a server id into the mix, sure
it's more data, I figure a 16bit integer, with the 32bit time stamp,
and however many bits you use for your server id should give an
acceptable degree of security.

-- Kwon Ekstrom