[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

msew msew at ev1.net
Sat Mar 10 19:56:29 CET 2001

At 21:58 03/01/2001 -0800, msew wrote:
> So I was reading this
> url:  http://www-news.uchicago.edu/citations/2001/010211.thaler.html
>
> Check out this quote :-)

> For a while, Thaler regarded such anomalies as mere cocktail-party
> fodder. But in 1976 he happened upon the work of two psychologists,
> Daniel Kahneman and the now-deceased Amos Tversky, who had been
> studying many of the same behaviors as Thaler. The two had noticed a
> key pattern: people are more concerned with changes in wealth than
> with their absolute level -- a violation of standard theory that
> explained many of Thaler's anomalies. Moreover, most people are
> "loss averse," meaning they experience more pain from losses than
> pleasure from gains. This explains why investors hate to sell
> losers. For Thaler, their work was an epiphany. He wrote to Tversky,
> who plainly encouraged him. "He took me seriously," Thaler recalled,
> "and because of that, I started taking it seriously."
> <<< END QUOTE <<<
>
> With a PD world going to have a lot of pain out there :-)

well along the same lines:  I was reading an article on black and white:

  http://www.eurogamer.net/content/i_peterm1

specificly:

  http://www.eurogamer.net/content/i_peterm1/3

>>>QUOTE>>>
Plastic Egg

Along with the central idea of choosing between good and evil, one of
the other major elements of the game is the "creatures", giant
semi-intelligent animals which can be trained like pets and carry out
tasks for you.  "The idea for the creatures came right at the end of
Dungeon Keeper", Peter explained. "At the end of any project you're
working flat out about 20 hours a day, and you don't see any human
beings other than the people that you work with. I had one of those
stupid Tamagotchi eggs, and I'd really grown attached to it - I was
taking it around with me everywhere and feeding it when it beeped. But
I was a bit frustrated that I couldn't be nasty to it."

"In the end I left it on the table, and one of the testers who was
testing the game, in fact the head tester Andy Robson who is testing
Black & White now, drowned my Tamagotchi in a cup of coffee. It was
honestly as if a piece of my family had been taken away from me. And I
thought at that time, if I could create an emotional attachment to a
little plastic egg thing, if we were able to create something which
changed, something that you could interact with, something that
learned from you, just how powerful that would be. So that's where it
came about from, the fact that my family turned out to be this little
plastic egg."

The coffee cup incident also led to the decision not to allow
creatures to die in Black & White. "Rather like my Tamagotchi egg
being drowned in a cup of coffee .. after that, the thought of ever
touching another Tamagotchi egg just made me sick. I couldn't bear the
thought of going back, and I realised that if your creature died and
you had spent all these hours growing him up, making him unique,
having to do that all over again .. nobody would go back to the game
again. So your creature gets hurt, he's out of action for a long time,
many many minutes - there's a big downside - but he doesn't die."
<<<END OF QUOTE<<<

One of the things with EQ right now is:

lots of my friend are NOT quiting the game even tho they are not
really play.  And often find themselves coming back to it.  But there
is a growing amount of them that are deleting their character SO they
can quit.

With PD it might make a bunch of the people that have been lucky and
have survived a long time, just quit the game if they are killed.
Losing 100+ days of time and effort of creating a persona and
acquiring items and skills is a HUGE hit to take.

msew