[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 10 20:26:24 CET 2001

Raph wrote:

> Jon Lambert:

>> Defect?  Just don't let them in... A chargen process requiring one
>> to write up one's detailed character background, descriptions,
>> motivations, etc., coupled with distraction approval is more than
>> enough to send your average GoPer screaming back to EQ, AC and UOL,
>> which is where we'd like them to stay BTW.  :-)

> Well, it also chases away other types of people. Non-geeks, for
> example. :) The impatient. Average people.

Surely you aren't suggesting that role-players are geeks.  Actually
the role-playing geeks I do know stick to the mechanical immersive
role-play style of game.  "Geek vs. the World".  "The Nerd as Hero."
:-)

Most of the role-players I know and game with would be best described
as socially gregarious.  That is they are FUN at parties.  I'd venture
that the geek percentage on a HnS Mud game is far higher than on a
role-playing Mush.

Where are you most likely to find a geek?  On a game where status is
defined by one's acting and communication capabilities?  Or a game
where status is defined by one's number crunching capabilities,
script/trigger writing, and "twitch" ability?

I guess it depends on how you define geek though.  And average too.

There are guest accounts.  Which are an ideal way for the impatient to
explore, and decide whether or not they want to generate a character.
I guess the major difference is that a HnS Mud is indeed a drop-in and
play game requiring no preparation by a participant.  A role-playing
game or session nearly always requires preparation by a participant.
Even the most casual and popular of these games, the murder mystery
party, requires the player to at least read (not create) a character
background document.

Come to think of it the above is probably a valid criticism of RP
games. Not providing enough character templates or free content for
the average person to get a character off-the-rack so to speak and
drop-in.

If you've ever gone to GenCon and played in hosted games, off-the-rack
characters are common.  Though you will find two very different
varieties of games being conducted there, regardless of the game
system (although some lean towards on or the other styles).  In one
AD&D event, you'll be presented with a character sheet that says you
are a level 6 dwarven fighter with stats of STR 18, Wis 12, yada yada.
In another AD&D event, you'll be presented with a character sheet that
says you are Gor-Nak-Drim a lieutenant in the 1st dwarven fusiliers,
son of General Drim-Nak_Gor, followed by a discussion of your
motivations, desires, needs, wants, hairstyle, flaws, yada yada.

Someone who had never played AD&D would be struck by the fact that
while both events are billed as AD&D role-playing events, there are
entirely different games being conducted here.  Which is why the term
'role-playing' is almost devoid of any practical and useful meaning.

I mentioned above that game systems lean towards different styles of
play.  You're more likely to find "real" role-playing (of the I know
it when I see it variety) occurring at an Ars Magica event than at an
AD&D event.

My own observation is, "The more rolling, the less roleing." I think
that also holds true in the Mud world, where the amount of 'rolling'
is defined by the level of one's immersion in interacting with
computer run game systems.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--