FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Sat Mar 10 20:35:55 CET 2001

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Adam Martin wrote:

> This seems to work fine AFAICS. The assumption is that there is
> indeed something "special" about being told by whichever NPC
> orginally told the human player who *can* use the word. It is a
> simple matter to have some in-game actions require that the
> character knows the information, and that others work with character
> knowledge and also with player knowledge.

That certainly requires one hell of a suspension of disbelief, which
is what John claims he's trying to avoid. It doesn't matter who tells
someone what a code word is. If the word is porkmelon, the word is
porkmelon, and it requires a suspension of disbelief to believe that
one person telling me that the word is porkmelon is somehow different
from another doing it.

--matt