[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Mon Mar 12 07:15:06 CET 2001

--On Saturday, March 10, 2001 9:38 PM +0000 the_logos at www.achaea.com
wrote:

>>   - melee combatant: monks, warriors, brawlers
>>   - non-melee combatant: archers, snipers, magic users
>>   - healer/non-combatant:shaman (optional)
>>   - stealth (optional)

> Heh. Why do you think this is? It's because of a general
> unwillingness to think outside the box.

Think too far outside of that box, and trust me, people will
immediately run to someplace safe and familiar.

I didn't notice this myself until EQ started up and our population
tanked to something like 15% of normal. People that would roll through
character creation, then leave in 5 minutes once they realized that
either there were no familiar guilds, or their preset triggers were
useless. They weren't a big enough segment to notice during normal
operations, but they show up against the background pretty well at the
current threshold. I was floored.

You go to what you were raised on, I guess. Or it may be the same
malady my wife suffers from - she refuses to play any games where she
doesn't have a Brady guide handy, to provide something familiar and
safe to go to as a reference point.

--
Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 206.246.120.2 3333