FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Mon Mar 12 13:21:39 CET 2001

According to the_logos at www.achaea.com:

> That certainly requires one hell of a suspension of disbelief, which
> is what John claims he's trying to avoid. It doesn't matter who
> tells someone what a code word is. If the word is porkmelon, the
> word is porkmelon, and it requires a suspension of disbelief to
> believe that one person telling me that the word is porkmelon is
> somehow different from another doing it.

In other words, the only way to avoid this is to make sure the in-game
representation of the "key" to move the statue isn't shareable and
duplicatable knowledge.

You can't have a wizard that says the statue moves when someone says
"porkmelon". What you need is the wizard giving you a talisman. Or
imbuing you with the required mystical attribute "to be
recognised". Or whatever. But your plot cannot involve a piece of
knowledge being acquired at a certain place, since, by definition,
knowledge can be replicated easily by a thousand different (and
uncontrollable) means.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!