[MUD-Dev] Habbo Hotel...

Tue Mar 13 13:43:38 CET 2001

Andrew Wilson wrote:

> I couldn't find reference to this in the minimal search I made of
> the archive so...

>     http://www.habbohotel.com/

Hey, interesting.  Anyone know of an up to date graphical MUD list
that distinguish between those that actually are functional and those
that are vapor?

Habbo seems to be developed by a finnish company

  http://www.sulake.com/ (owned by an advertising company

?) and built on GPL'ed server code

  http://www.sulake.com/fuselight/

To me, Habbo has a rather The Palace like feel to it. The pub is a
fitting metaphor, analogy even. People actually seem to buy furniture
(graphics) for real money, maybe EC made a blunder somewhere in
there...

> The client uses 'event propagation' (quoting someone else here, I'd
> just call it 'text-reordering).  When you type your chatter into the
> client it seems to tag it with a 'the-time-is' message and sends to
> the server.  When the server reflects the message out to all the
> listening clients then the message is inserted in the stream of
> already-displayed text according to the 'the-time-is' tag.  Is this
> something that Habitat did, UO does?

You cannot expect to gain a whole lot by this given the lag you can
expect over international networks. Maybe within a one second
interval, but beyond that, I'd rather get the message at the bottom
than inserted in the middle, or worse, off the screen. And one second
is nothing given the time it takes to type a line of text? Or did I
miss something?

I've spent some time thinking about events, timing and lost datagrams
and such in the past, but as you eventually come up with a clever
solution it often seems to be a waste of time and energy compared to
what you get out of it. And clever solutions often introduce new
problems. Keep it simple, if you can get away with it!

I agree with a previous message by Dr.Cat about seamless borders being
a waste of effort.  Spent a lot of energy thinking about that too.
Maybe we should make a list of
cool-things-not-worth-the-trouble... That could save the lot of us a
few man years, or worse...

> Sorry if all this is old news.  I just think it's so cool it's
> probably worth mentioning twice.

More cool stuff would be nice :-)

Ola.