FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Tue Mar 13 23:36:04 CET 2001

From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
> Jeff Freeman writes:

>> I see this as much more a problem with having single-player-game
>> quests in a multiplayer-game than a problem with tracking
>> player-knowledge vs.  character-knowledge.

> I disagree with the assertion that it has to do with quests that are
> in the single player style.

Not *just* quests, but "knowledge" in general.

> I consider such quests to be a bad idea, as you do, but the notion
> of modeling character knowledge is unrelated.

I think it is very related - it's the same problem.

> In truth, I'm not even thinking along the lines of quests.  I
> presented the example of spells being embodied in 'secret' form.

It's not a "secret" if 100,000 people know about it.

Pretending a secret is not a secret doesn't make it a secret.  It just
makes you delusional.

> The password example could be to gain entry into a hunting area, or
> to gain access to a black market area, whatever.

That's where I'd say the password example, for a multiplayer game, is
a Bad Idea.  Works fine for single player.  Bad for multiplayer.
Whether it's in a quest or in something else.

You can achieve the same result by using some other mechanic -
something that makes sense for multiplayer games, say.

> Note also that I'm not drawing a distinction between characters and
> players.  I'm bringing up the fact that it exists and that it is
> important to understand the distinction.

There is no such distinction.

> As a designer, if you don't remember that the two are different,
> you'll be changing your view of game design.

I changed it when I stopped playing PnP RPGs and started playing
online games.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Maybe it would be a bad thing if I was making a PnP RPG.  But I'm not.

> As a designer, you can't afford to think like a player.

Oh please.  What kind of Ivory Tower mindset it that?  The players
*are* game designers.

> Having that mindset available to you is essential - but it should
> not be your full-time view of game design.

It is the end-all, be-all view of game design.

"Does this game suck?" is the only important question, at the end of
the day.  It's one that players ask and answer.  Game designers don't
seem to ask that question.  Or don't seem to be able to answer it
correctly.