[MUD-Dev] Movies bigger than games? (was Re: Digital Property Law)

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Wed Mar 14 12:36:07 CET 2001

Tess Lowe wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> I remember someone opining that they would change the nature of
>> commerce itself. Clearly that's a little overboard. Movies are way
>> bigger than games (including merchandising here) for instance, and
>> movies are a financially nearly insignificant industry.

> Are you sure that movies are way bigger than games? I was just
> reading the rant dated 3/2/2001 at

Actually both movies and games goes into the same pot -- the
entertainment pot.  If you look at businesses in general, it is other
businesses buying up the entertainment industry, not the other way
around.  I don't know the size of the computer industry, but I would
guess all of hollywood could fit nicely in Sun's or IBM's old
buildings.

The film industry is Hollywood.  And Hollywood is very good at hyping
itself.  It doesn't matter that movies get made in other places or
even by less known studios such as Goldcrest Films (Chariots of Fire,
Gandhi, the Killing Fields).  There are probably dozens of film
centers all over the world, but everyone knows Hollywood and assumes
that everything made comes from there.

Hollywood is filled with entertainment lawyers, agents to the stars,
fancy cars and houses, famous people blah blah.  Games are um --
geeky.  And where is the center?  Can anyone name the top game player
for the year 2000?  Or even what game he plays?  Ask your aunt to name
one famous game designer, programmer, project manager, animator,
producer.  The software industry, even bigger, is even geekier.  Geeks
are by nature introverted.  Hollywood is filled with brash, loud- (er
extroverted) people.

But when it comes to movies/films/cinema, ask anyone -- probably even
your dog.  What is the current box office smash hit and where was it
made.  Crouching something hidding something.  Hollywood!  Who was the
producer? Spielberg!  Who was the director? Spielberg!  Who was the
main star?  Anne Nicole Smith!

You see everyone knows Hollywood.

frank