[MUD-Dev] Movies bigger than games? (OT)

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 09:27:59 CET 2001

On 14th March, 2001, Eli Stevens wrote:

> What's an OBE?

It's "Officer of the British Empire". It's just above "Member of the
British Empire" and just below "Commander of the British Empire".
Above CBE, you get a knighthood.

  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/uk/2000/birthday_honours_2000/newsid_792000/792498.stm

has a reasonable guide to what all the various honours are. They're
given out twice a year (at year end and on the Queen's Official
birthday - which isn't her real one) and occasionally at other times,
eg. when a prime minister leaves office.

>  My first guess is that it has something to do with being knighted
>  (I know > some singers have been knighted, and actors like Sean
>  Connery)

If you get an OBE, you just have the letters after your name, as in
Fred Bloggs OBE. If you're knighted, your surname isn't used, as in
Sir Fred. If you get a life peerage (one step above knighthood) then
you're given a title, eg. "Lord Bloggs of Hometown", but you get to
decide whether to style yourself Lord Bloggs or Lord
Hometown. Hereditary peerages are a whole degree of complexity beyond
this...

		Richard