[MUD-Dev] Introduction Systems

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 16 16:39:31 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>
To: "Ben Chambers" <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Introduction Systems

> You could, say, use a 24-bit number for character ID (giving about
> 16.7 million character IDs), and an 8-bit number for the index into
> the list of that character's aliases (allowing a character to have
> up to 256 aliases, which is more than anyone's likely to actually
> want).

I agree entirely, but just wanted to raise the question of what
*would* you do if 8-bits ended up not being enough? I appreciate that
you weren't attempting to be precise, but I'd like to highlight the
general problem whereby too many designers shoot themselves in both
feet by neglecting to define how they are going to handle the
extremely-improbable when it does finally come home to roost.

I bring it up because I would have really appreciated being warned not
to make the mistake some years ago.

Adam M.