[MUD-Dev] Small scale commercial text MUDs

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Sat Mar 17 15:39:56 CET 2001

Bruce wrote:

> John W Pierce wrote:

>> Genesis/ColdC (in my opinion, by far the best of this type),
>> LambdaMOO, et al. I like even less systems that are, to all intents

> I'm not sure what you mean here with respect to treating user input
> as executable code and how Cold or MOO do that, with the exception
> of the 'eval' command.  Could you elaborate?

Ah, I thought that would get the attention of some from Cold.

John, if you are talking about that fact that just about anyone can be
a programmer on LambdaMOO, that is just the way it is set up. Both
LambdaMOO and Cold can restrict that so from a game point-of-view, a
user has no access to any programming -- much like it is for MudOS.
Or even DGD.

If you are talking about a rogue programmer, then sure anything could
happen.

My suggestion is to take one of those two and work from there since
either represents years of effort that you don't have to put in
yourself.  Then you can build the parts you need, if you feel that
somethings are missing.  If you want a quick start to a more game-type
environment, I would recommend the lastest Cold server with the
Coldhell database.  Or use the standard Cold database for more general
type development.

If there is enough interest in the Coldhell database, I may re-open my
own site as sort of a laboratory and training center for such
development.  But I warn people now that the legal status of Coldhell
is unknown.  I believe that the database is free to use and modify
without restrictions.

Bruce, isn't Kipp the father of Coldhell?

frank