[MUD-Dev] PK vs no-PK?

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Sun Mar 18 11:25:54 CET 2001

KevinL writes:

> EQ-based player webpage:
>
>   http://uenaelar.gameloft.fr/htm/us/chap009.htm
>
> Read the bit at the bottom regarding the rude newbie... *chuckle*
>
> This goes straight to the previous discussions of people being able
> to insult other people, and the responses being limited, I think ;)

So is the theory here that being annoying back to newbies is the way
to get their attention so you can educate them?  How about using an
OOC channel to communicate what's going on instead of pointlessly
elevating the 'insult' level to the point where the more powerful
player gets to start throwing its weight around?  Wonderful
roleplaying.

My comments about knowing who the player is and who the character is
are certainly timely.  This is a case where knowing which is which is
critical.  The roleplayer isn't accepting the fact that he's talking
to a player who doesn't even acknowledge the existence of his
character.  What's the point of 'acting' when your audience thinks
you're serious?  You need to let your audience know that you're
'acting'.  In EverQuest, this is supposed to be indicated by a change
of color in your floating name from blue to purple (dramatic emphasis,
that).  It's simply not clear enough for many to know what's going on.

The game designers didn't pay enough attention to the fact that the
character and player are different.

JB