[MUD-Dev] Re: licenses for RPGs (fwd)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Mar 19 22:01:58 CET 2001

------- Forwarded Message
From: David Johnson <david at usermode.org>
To: "David Croft" <croft at whoola.com>, license-discuss at opensource.org
Subject: Re: licenses for RPGs
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:25:52 +0000

On Monday March 19 2001 06:55 pm, David Croft wrote:

> >> I am now creating a roleplaying game with some other
> >> people that needs a free
> >> and open license. It may be some months before it is
> >> released.
>
> If you have not done so already, check out:
> http://opengamingfoundation.org/
> http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/licenses.html
> http://gamespawn.com/library/links/

The only licenses halfway-acceptable for me are the OOGl and OGL. I have two
issues with them. First, they are lengthy and potentially confusing (to the
user) licenses.

Second, they are copyleft, and I am not desiring a copyleft license for this
project. Unfortunately, the Open Gaming License will only approve copylefted
licenses and games. In other words, I can release a public domain game and
they would refuse to call it free and open.  If I wanted a copyleft license I
would use the FDL, since it is the most sensible.

- --
David Johnson
http://www.usermode.org

------- End of Forwarded Message