[MUD-Dev] Re: licenses for RPGs (fwd)

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Tue Mar 20 20:53:05 CET 2001

At 10:50 AM 3/20/01 -0800, Frank Crowell wrote:

> I think this still leaves one big question unresolved -- what game
> engine/mechanics can muds use that is a) open and b) usable for
> muds?

Attempting to use a PnP set of mechanics for a computer based RPG
probably isn't the best approach (unless, of course, you're not
comfortable devising your own mechanics, but if that's the case,
you're probably going to have a hard time translating from one domain
to the other without serious imbalances anyway).

PnP mechanics, even good ones (and very few are that good...but in
general they're better than computer ones because they've been heavily
scrutinized by gamers), have several significant problems translating
to the computer domain.  If I had to list the top reasons, they are:

  - lack of a gamemaster
  - a freeform mechanics
  - very coarse progression steps

A gamemaster can prevent egregious powergaming and/or rules
exploitation.  If a player is taking advantage of a discrepancy or
loophole in the rules, then the GM can step in and disallow it or
punish/adjust appropriately.  Lack of a full time overseer in a
computer game means that once a loop hole is found, it can and will be
taken advantage of.  This can be anything from bad AI to overly
powerful spells (Cloudkill, Tensor's Transformation in the BG series)
to character creation rules that are out of whack (BG2 comes to
mind...kensai/mage dual class and half-orc fighter/cleric were way too
powerful and easy to make).

CRPG developers typically fix these loopholes (at least, the ones
they've found) via patches or through sequels, which is a bit longer
timeframe than the immediacy a GM offers.

In some cases, the mechanics can't translate directly to computer
because it requires a judgement call on the part of the GM.  Examples
of this may include trading in "luck points" to accomplish some
arbitrary feat, or using spells like "Wish".  And of course there are
all those other mechanics that have to be designed into the content,
e.g. climbing walls, sneaking, etc.

Finally, and this shouldn't be underestimated given the current flavor
of RPGs out there, most RPGs aren't designed to give you a bunch of
small progressions over time.  Instead, you make relatively large
leaps in power.  In AD&D the difference between level 1 and level 10
is huge, equivalent probably to level 1 to level 35 in EQ or Diablo.
Giving characters a constant stream of small rewards is a major theme
in many RPGs today, and most mechanics systems aren't set up to do
that without spiraling out of control.

Brian Hook