[MUD-Dev] A Brief History of Commercial MUDs

Koster Koster
Tue Mar 20 22:59:19 CET 2001

I think it is safe to say that either one is larger than the total
combined *commercial* text mud community. The single largest block of
commercial text muds is the stable of games at Simutronics, which I
think has around 60,000 people (any Simu folks around to offer a
correction? I guess I could ask Elonka, I've seen her around the GDC
conference twice today...) In agreegate, UO and EQ have well over a
half a million subscribers, possibly up at 600,000 by now, and
Asheron's Call definitely pushes it over 600,000; there's surely
overlap and multiple accounts in there, but the latter are a very
small percentage.

As far as the hobbyist mud community--how big IS it anyway? I've heard
wildly varying estimates. I would say that it's likely the graphical
games in aggregate make up over half the total mud community at this
point, and possibly substantially more.

-Raph, who has a functioning Internet connection at GDC!