[MUD-Dev] Re: licenses for RPGs (fwd)

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 22 10:57:59 CET 2001

Tuesday, March 20, 2001, 11:53:05 PM, Brian Hook <bwh at wksoftware.com> wrote:

> At 10:50 AM 3/20/01 -0800, Frank Crowell wrote:

>> I think this still leaves one big question unresolved -- what game
>> engine/mechanics can muds use that is a) open and b) usable for
>> muds?

> Attempting to use a PnP set of mechanics for a computer based RPG
> probably isn't the best approach (unless, of course, you're not
> comfortable devising your own mechanics, but if that's the case,
> you're probably going to have a hard time translating from one
> domain to the other without serious imbalances anyway).

> PnP mechanics, even good ones (and very few are that good...but in
> general they're better than computer ones because they've been
> heavily scrutinized by gamers), have several significant problems
> translating to the computer domain.

[snip lots]

Differences between paper RPGs and multiplayer online RPGs was
actually the subject of my column at Skotos two weeks ago.  Since
they're paying me for exclusive rights to the column, I won't post it
here, but you can find it at:

  http://www.skotos.net/articles/BSTG_03.html

In the next column, I'll be talking about differences between text
adventures (that is, the single-player kind) and muds.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>