[MUD-Dev] Concerning Advanced Server designs for MMORPGs

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Tue Mar 27 09:00:24 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Licciardi" <kressilac at home.com>
To: "Mud-Dev" <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 5:54 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Concerning Advanced Server designs for MMORPGs

> The next generation of MMORPGs are going to have to be significantly
> more robust than the ones available today.  From what I can tell,
> the complexity of them is increasing faster and faster with each new
> release.  No, doubt Anarchy Online takes the graphical versions to a
> higher standard, and Horizon's will take the entry level even
> higher.  All this competition started me to thinking about how the
> next generation server should be designed and I found myself staring
> at the possibilty of using a messaging server like MSMQ to handle
> the traffic of messages on the back end of the system.  Has anyone
> had experience using MSMQ or another transaction monitor in their
> everyday jobs?  If so please email me so that we can discuss the
> usage of the server in an MMORPG.  Between collision detection
> servers, AI servers, Zone

I never used MSMQ to manage messages, but I think that it could be a
good idea if you're looking for reliability. What I am wondering about
is the performace this system has. Have you ever performed a test on
speed simulating a high traffic server?  I personally prefer
hand-tuned functions to manage packets' queues between my own servers,
but if MSMQ can save you a lot of work and be solid, then why not
using it?

> servers, Scripting servers and a host of other individual servers
> that it will take to run an MMORPG that has a chance at competing in
> the market, it seems to me that a reliable messaging platform would
> be in order(please no flames on the choice of Micro$oft as a
> reliable platform).

As you're saying, I won't start a flame about your choice, but could
you tell me what made you choose an M$ powered solution instead of any
other one apart from MSMQ?

--
Valerio Santinelli
HateSeed.com Founder