[MUD-Dev] Movies bigger than games?

Greg Underwood gunderwoodhsd at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 30 00:41:26 CEST 2001

At 01:01 AM 3/29/01 -0800, amsm2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Matt Mihaly wrote:

<header clened up again>

>But doesn't it strike you that this is only the beginning of a new period
>in the gaming industry where merchandising *is* aggressive?

True.  Lots of games are comming out with action figure lines as
well.  AFAIK, Starcraft was the first reasonably sucessful one (those Zerg
figures sure did kick butt!).  I know we've got pewter figures in the
"Collector's Edition" RA2 box, T-shirts, etc.  Heck, I've seen a Tib-Sun
pop-can in the office of one of the marketing guys.  It's not a new idea,
but I think it's time may be comming.

I think we're definitely in for more of the same.  Games have started
advertising on prime-time TV now (how many times have you had to explain
what that Conqer's BFD commerical was to relatives? :), other advertising
based marketing tie-ins are sure to follow.  Personnaly, I'm all for it,
but I'll admit I've got a personal stake in it.  ;)

-Greg