[MUD-Dev] Re: Respecting NPCs

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 01:05:48 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Mitchener" <bruce at puremagic.com>

[...]

> One other thing would be the computational load of simulating a
> large enough number of NPCs at a sufficient level of detail.  How
> many do you have running around your game world?  How many do you
> need to provide a rich enough appearance of a city environment and
> a meaningful experience for the player?

Does anyone know statistics on Ultima7/8? These certainly had NPCs
"living their lives" - I remember having real trouble solving a
quest because everytime I was in a certain town, it just happened to
be day time, and the quest could only be achieved in the evening
when a certain NPC had gone home.

>From memory, U7 had an awful lot of NPCs who one would have liked ot
have acted like this, who had backstory like "Yesterday, I ..."
except it was just static content - which was disappointing when you
went away for a few days (sleeping at night time etc) and came back
and the NPCs were still talking about a "yesterday" that was now at
least three days ago.

Adam M