[MUD-Dev] Virtual environments for education?

Mats Lidstrom mats at avatargate.com
Wed Nov 7 07:00:13 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Edward Glowacki" <glowack2 at msu.edu>

> We have a professor that wants to create an online virtual
> environment for her students.  I met with her only briefly, so I
> don't have an entirely clear understanding of what exactly she
> wants, or more importantly how she intends to use it (I'm not sure
> she knows the answer to either question), but I'll try to
> interpolate as best I can.

> The goal a place where students are free to express themselves, be
> creative, share their ideas, and work on projects together.  It
> should also be "By the students, for the students."

This sounds like what we're currently working on at Avatargate.  Not
a graphical MUD, but more like a graphical MOO heavy on the social
aspects of a virtual world more than the game aspect.

One main goal is the ability to build your own graphical objects -
complete with code logic and all. Even though we can't agree on how
this would influence the world and a possible future extension of
the world into the gaming arena <g>. Possibly we will have both
systems running on different servers to cover them both.

The market is currently flooded with the old fantasy, hack'n'slash,
tolkien, medival, graphical MUD type of game, but I haven't so far
found a more social, graphical MOO type so of course I'm interested
too if anybody got some pointer to any v.env that fits your
description.

/Mats