[MUD-Dev] RE:

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Nov 14 12:13:56 CET 2001

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Travis Casey wrote:
> On Friday 02 November 2001 11:47, gamaiun at yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:10:46 -0800 (PST)
>> "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com> wrote:

>>> If we want to go on a crusade to fix something, how about we fix
>>> the fact that your average cartoon does a better job at
>>> portraying the human condition than our games do?

>> Why is it that the average cartoon portrays the human condition
>> better?  Are there no humans in those games, or do they not have
>> stories and longings they want to express?

> For that matter -- what is "the human condition"?  Is there only
> *one* "human condition"?

> To me, the very phrase, "the human condition", reeks of projecting
> your own values and morals onto others.  It's like "the meaning of
> life" -- there are lots of different people who will tell you that
> life means a lot of different things.  By the same token, I can
> imagine quite a number of "human conditions".

Even if you adapt that idea then i would re-ask Raph's question in
your wording;

  "Why is it that the average cartoon lets you project your own
  values and morals onto it better?"

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|