[MUD-Dev] Expectations of in-game reality

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Wed Nov 14 19:44:40 CET 2001

On Tue 13 Nov, Lars Duening wrote:
> Travis Casey wrote on Friday, October 26 2001, 10:35:30:
>> Thursday, October 25, 2001, 4:40:26 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

>>> A 50 tonne dragon with wings the size of postage stamps flying
>>> is not logically internally consistent, not unless you can also
>>> fly by wiggling your ears.  It makes good story however.  Why?

>> Can you point to any serious fantasy that has such a thing,
>> though?  The only flying dragons with wings smaller than their
>> body length that I've seen depicted are either (1) in children's
>> fantasy, where they're trying for a silly appearance, or (2)
>> Oriental dragons, who don't have wings at all.

> Well, Erroll in Terry Pratchett's "Guards! Guards!" manages to fly
> with his stubby wings by using them like airplane wings and
> achieving the necessary lift through speed from his 'jet engine'.

That hardly classifies as "serious fantasy" now does it? As far as I
know, Terry Pratchett writes parodies, or something closely
resembling it.

Besides, realism is not about what is possible in our world but
about what is consistent with the game world. And of course the
things that are part of our collective knowledge, faerie tales and
myths are never questioned by players. Dragons happen to be part of
that, so their presence is generally taken for granted.  In fact,
any attempt to "scientifically" explain dragons is likely to be
more harmfull to the fantasy than ignoring the fact that it is
impossible in our world.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,