[MUD-Dev] Tabletop RPGs and Inspiration (was: no subject)

John Mariotti ep_enigma at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 18 23:04:11 CET 2001

>From: Brian 'Psychochild' Green <brian at psychochild.org>

> Referring to the original post, however, I think that trying to
> make an online version of the table RPG experience is just silly.
> Most of us have as vivid memories of the people and places we
> played as in the games themselves.  While I certainly loved my
> dwarven berzerker in the campaign I played in college, I also
> remember the hyperactive red-headed GM that loved warm, flat
> Mountain Dew walking along the tables in the college common room.
> (I kid you not!)  You lose almost all of this other sensory input
> when you move it to the online medium.  The lesson here is: do
> your game in the right medium.

Well, I'm currently in the process of porting a friend of mines
Tabletop RPG to MUD form, it's a bit difficult and while it can't
replace the 'realism' of playing the Tabletop version of his game, I
am trying to include all aspects of the game, to the point that it
would require more imagination to play the MUD version than the TT
(TableTop) and thusly brings you into the game more (or for others
turns you off the game completely).

But on the other side of the coin, the on-line version of any TT RPG
will have it's highs as well as it's lows, there's just somethings
you can make possible on-line that you couldn't even attempt in a TT
RPG, it's a give and take relationship either way. I think the trick
is creating the right mix. Make sure that the ONLY things not
available in the on-line version is the physical interaction, you
can pretty much simulate everything else you need, and while it's
not quite the same as a TT RPG, it'll be running it's campaign 24
hours a day. But that's just my view on things.

Enigma
'Endless Passsages'
a.k.a John Mariotti

'Some people say that no power can lower a mountain; some people are fools'