[MUD-Dev] RE:

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Wed Nov 21 00:31:49 CET 2001

Jeff Cole writes:
> From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>

>> Do interactive games have the ability to impact players?
>> Absolutely.  And far more significantly than movies, books and
>> cartoons.

> If that is indeed true about books, then that is a rather damning
> indictment of contemporary culture rather than a crowning
> achievement for interactive games.

> Certainly for me, books have had much more profound impact.

Please note the terms I used.  I was refering to the *ability* to
impact, not the impact that current games hold.  Further, I don't
see any indictment in my statement.  Only the idea that interaction
is more impactful than observation.  Or so I claim.

Storytelling is far better understood in our society than is the
interactive technique, and there are far more people communicating
through books than through interaction.  When the tools for
communicating through interaction are more widely available, a
greater number of people will figure out how to do it well.  This
will permit us to explore the potential of interaction.

JB