[MUD-Dev] Role-Playing Games Are Not Dead

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sat Nov 24 11:37:44 CET 2001

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Leland Hulbert II wrote:

> However, second hand, traded, and stolen copies of a game don't
> make money.  True, an online game is often subscription based, and
> you can't effectively second-hand an account, since you pay the
> subsricption.  But I would guess that any gamers who were willing
> to get second-hand or pirated versions of what many called "the
> best game of the year" just because it saved them some money
> aren't likely to be paying for a subscription, either.

> An money is where it really counts.

As a commercial operator, and general proponent of free-market
capitalism, I'd certainly be the last person to disparage the
importance of money. However, it's hardly all that counts. This
isn't, after all, a list on how to make money in MUDs (though it
does seem to drift further and further in that direction). In fact,
considering it's a list on MUD design generally, it's surprising how
many ideas are shut down due to being commercially non-viable (at
least according to prevailing wisdom, which is pretty crap given the
number of business models...1....that the majors have tried).

--matt