[MUD-Dev] Role-Playing Games Are Not Dead

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sat Nov 24 11:47:32 CET 2001

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Lars Duening wrote:

> I think the same applies to the relation of P&P RPGs to Muds (and
> also to the relation of real-life to realism in Muds): they are a
> good for inspiration, but in the end Muds have to do things in
> their own unique way in order to succeed. And like movies split up
> in genres with their own conventions, there won't be just One
> Right Way for Muds to handle things - big online worlds will work
> in a slightly different way than smaller Muds.

I may be slightly ignorant of the diversity of offerings in the P&P
RPG market, but it strikes me that P&P RPGs are really only
particularly relevant to a sub-set of MUDs, not MUDs generally. I
speak of PvE MUDs generally, as it doesn't seem to me that the P&P
RPGs I'm familiar with work well at all in a highly competitive PvP
or, more to the point, Group v. Group environment. Some of the
language is shared (hitpoints, for instance), but the focus of the
world itself is quite different.

--matt