[MUD-Dev] [GENETICS] Evolving prey populations

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 02:18:03 CET 2001

Regarding the idea about making prey populations evolutionary, with
genes controlling attributes, a good starting point for anyone
interested in the idea would be:

  http://www.geneticprogramming.org/

although Genetic Programming is intended to solve much more
complicated problems (I used it in my under-grad dissertation to
evolve Pacman players with the aim of coping well with arbitrary
mazes and even outperforming human players without prior knowledge
of the mazes. Although I only had partial success, time limits being
what they are, and java's memory usage requirements being what they
are when holding 3million+ objects in memory, and having more
important things to do than write it more sensibly (like write the
actual dissertation!))

Adam M