[MUD-Dev] Writing a MUD Server in Visual Basic?

Troy Fisher ashon at wsunix.wsu.edu
Sat Sep 1 04:44:43 CEST 2001

KevinL wrote:

> I'd definitely be interested in some performance numbers - I'm
> still on the lookout for anything vaguely approaching benchmarking
> for muds.

I've been fortunate enough to be on the development team of Wheelmud
pretty much since it's inception.  For those of you who may not be
aware, Wheelmud is one of the longest running Open-Source Visual
Basic Muds around.  We have been actively working on it since june
'99.

Recently we developed our room system and did a quick performance
check.  It proved two things: 1) We need to optimize our code, think
about speed, speed, and more speed, and 2) That VB is sluggish.

With 868 Rooms and 2-4 players online the ram usage is a huge
12mb's.  It should be noted though, that this is not nessicarily
typical of VB Mud's.  Wheelmud has kept an Ear to staying Dynamic
with descriptions and the world, so our primitive update procedures
are eating most of that ram.

Reference: http://www.wheelmud.org/scripts/devdiary.asp (The Entry
by Fastalanasa about XML rooms on 8/18/2001)

-Lord Ashon