[MUD-Dev] MUD to include space and more

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Sat Sep 1 08:25:05 CEST 2001

At 09:51 AM 8/30/01 -0700, Daniel Bendiksen wrote:

> I'm looking to create a MUD that will include space and maybe
> realistic travel across it.

> Has discussions already happened on this type of concept? Is work
> on such a project underway?

Well, there are several space oriented commercial MMOGs coming out.
Star Wars Galaxies is probably the big one, but the closest are EVE
On-line and Westwood's Earth and Beyond.  I'm working on a graphical
MUD of sorts in my spare time that takes place in space (similar to
Elite/Frontier/Starflight). Unfortunately the design problems are
non-trivial when doing vast expanses that have to be travelled but
are still large (lack of time compression is the biggest problem).

Brian