[MUD-Dev] Writing a MUD Server in Visual Basic?

Chris Gray cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
Sun Sep 2 10:08:47 CEST 2001

> From: "Troy Fisher" <ashon at wsunix.wsu.edu>
> KevinL wrote:

>> I'd definitely be interested in some performance numbers - I'm
>> still on the lookout for anything vaguely approaching
>> benchmarking for muds.

I must have missed this post in the catchup from my vacation. I'm
interested in MUD performance data, too. Mostly because I think mine
is the fastest there is, of course. :-) Several years ago when mine
was still "AmigaMUD", someone did some comparisons between it and
the LPMud of the time and it was lots faster than that, but I know
the LP's have gotten a lot faster, and I've gotten my new bytecode
engine. So, is there anyone out there that has downloaded my server
(the hits can't all have been search engines!) who is in a position
to compare it to the latest LP's?

> With 868 Rooms and 2-4 players online the ram usage is a huge
> 12mb's.  It should be noted though, that this is not nessicarily
> typical of VB Mud's.  Wheelmud has kept an Ear to staying Dynamic
> with descriptions and the world, so our primitive update
> procedures are eating most of that ram.

That does seem a lot. The other performance question is of course
execution time. There at least profiling tools can give good
information.

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/