[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Blizzard Entertainment announces World of Warcraft

Kylotan kylotan at kylotan.eidosnet.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 03:42:09 CEST 2001

I just heard about this, and I couldn't see anyone else posting a
link or summary in recent posts, so here goes:

  Main site:
    http://www.blizzard.com/WoW/

  Full text of press release:
    http://www.blizzard.com/press/010902wow.shtml

Here's my edited summary of the key parts of that press release:

<edited quote>
  "Blizzard Entertainment announces World of Warcraft"

  "Blizzard prepares to redefine massively multiplayer gaming"

  "World of Warcraft takes place four years following the aftermath
  of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, where a great tension has settled
  over the ravaged world of Azeroth. As the various races begin to
  rebuild their shattered kingdoms, new threats, both ancient and
  terrifying, have arisen to plague the world once again. Players
  must explore the lands of Azeroth, forge fellowships with other
  players, and build their strength in order to prevail. "

  "An action-packed combat system delivers fast, furious combat
  against multiple opponents, while minimizing delays between
  battles to keep players on the move. A rich, evolving story and
  questing system will keep players engrossed as the world is
  regularly updated with new content. "

  "Fully customizable character classes, innovative races, and
  thousands of weapons allow for a truly diverse gameplay experience
  that will appeal to both hard-core and novice gamers alike. A
  simple, intuitive user interface will allow players of various
  skill levels to easily join the adventure. World of Warcraft also
  features support for advanced graphics hardware, giving the player
  superlative graphical enhancements, as well as a sophisticated,
  massively multiplayer network architecture capable of supporting
  thousands of players in a world simultaneously."
</edited quote>

To be honest, it just sounds like the same stuff that everyone else
has promised (and subsequently failed) to deliver, so I'm not overly
impressed... yet.

--
Kylotan