[MUD-Dev] MUD to include space and more

David Loeser daklozar at home.com
Tue Sep 4 20:05:32 CEST 2001

> Andrew Norman wrote:
>> Daniel Bendiksen wrote:

>> I'm looking to create a MUD that will include space and maybe
>> realistic travel across it.

> I started looking at this a while ago. Basically I was looking at
> a traveller style mud. I figured out some of the concepts but work
> picked up and I put it on the back burner.

>> Has discussions already happened on this type of concept? Is work
>> on such a project underway?

> I am not aware of any discussions, but then again I have only
> listened to this group for the last couple of years.

> If there is work I would be interested or we could get together on
> sourceforge or something and start one ;)

A project that I have been watching with some interest for the past
four or so years is The Galileo Project:

  http://www.galileo-project.com/

They have been designing for a very long time and I think they are
currently in a proof of concept development mode.

I have a list of other such projects - Even David Braben (Elite and
Frontier Elite 2 fame) is rumored to be planning an online Elite
universe... I think the concept of an online space trading universe
would definitely be a welcome change of pace to your normal everyday
run of the mill 14th century game *chuckle*

I even have napkins with scribbled notes concerning the Elite
universe played with 100's of people as well as a design doc dating
back to 1989. I would sell it to the highest bidder - but, I
probably would use the proceeds to ship it out j/k.

David "Dak Lozar" Loeser