[MUD-Dev] Writing a MUD Server in Visual Basic?

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Wed Sep 5 12:10:48 CEST 2001

From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Chris Gray wrote:
>>> From: "Troy Fisher" <ashon at wsunix.wsu.edu>

>> I must have missed this post in the catchup from my vacation. I'm
>> interested in MUD performance data, too. Mostly because I think
>> mine is the fastest there is, of course. :-) Several years ago
>> when mine was still "AmigaMUD", someone did some comparisons
>> between it and the LPMud of the time and it was lots faster than
>> that, but I know the LP's have gotten a lot faster, and I've
>> gotten my new bytecode engine. So, is there anyone out there that
>> has downloaded my server (the hits can't all have been search
>> engines!) who is in a position to compare it to the latest LP's?

> How could we benchmark MUDs? In other words, how could we test
> them under the exact same conditions?

To benchmark a mud under exact same conditions would be an
impossible task, rather you would benchmark similar systems.  IO,
Command interpreter, etc...  I'm sure you'll find branches of muds
that use similar subsystems that could have related benchmarks.

Hrmm, that brings up an interesting question of what would you
benchmark?  db retrieval db modification (adding/removing) You'd
probably want to describe features of the db there...  Some allow
sophisticated access, while others use external storage.  GameLoop
time That'd be a major one, which would show overall performance
data, you would need to know how large of an area base, and the
number of users active Softcode or scripting systems skill/spell
times would be hard to compare I imagine..

-- Kwon Ekstrom