[MUD-Dev] Writing a MUD Server in Visual Basic?

Chris Gray cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
Wed Sep 5 19:42:47 CEST 2001

> From: "Dan MacDonald" <danmac at windows.microsoft.com>
>> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]

>> How could we benchmark MUDs? In other words, how could we test
>> them under the exact same conditions?

> By Generating some Good Metrics, He's some that came up with.

>   Connections per X Unit of Memory (e.g. 1MB Ram)

OK, that should be doable. I'm curious as to whether you think
secondary effects matter. That is, are you just concerned about how
big the fixed structures for a new client are, or do you want to see
what happens to various caches, etc. as another client starts doing
things?

>   Transactions per X Unit of Time (e.g. seconds)
>   Latency per Client (graph as Client Load Increases)

You'd have to specify what the activities are. For example, my
server would process a "look around" in an empty room a whole lot
faster than it would process a "walk north" from one busy room to
another, especially if there is special softcode involved in the
entry and/or exit.

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/