[MUD-Dev] Free Time != Advancement (was: Structured Social Play)

shren shren at io.com
Thu Sep 6 11:03:48 CEST 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Eli Stevens wrote:

> One model that I am considering is to make advancement based off
> of offline time.  About an hour to an hour and a half of online
> play would net the player 48 hours of full-strength advancement,
> the third day's effectiveness would drop off so that by the end of
> the third day, you have only netted another 12 hours of
> advancement, and after that you would only gain about an hour a
> day, which would slowly decline as more time passes.

Interesting footnote:

  The plan with UO2, before it went away, was to have experience
  lost upon death restore slowly while logged off.  So if you play
  for 2 or 3 hours and die, then you can either keep playing and
  earn the experience again or log off - either way it'll be back
  tomorrow.

--
  You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth!   - George Carlin