[MUD-Dev] Structured Social Play

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Sat Sep 8 13:20:53 CEST 2001

According to Daniel Bendiksen:

> Has anyone ever thought about allowing chat lines (and maybe other
> lines) to be sent to a different telnet session? This would entail
> having the user logged into your server multiple times, but would
> allow a very nice clean up of certain elements of the game output.

I don't know for text-based MUDs, but this is something Dark Age of
Camelot is implementing. They apparently have two separate windows,
one for chatting, one for game events (such as combat).

Anarchy Online uses a console-style overhead damage report (you have
damage and healing numbers appearing over the target head and
scrolling up), but it also reports the same information in the chat
window, and I have yet to find a way to disable one or the other.

Incidentally, that idea (overhead numbers) is very uncomfortable in
AO's environment, because of the 1st person view (true 1st person or
over-the-shoulder view). Because of this, you're unable to see any
damage done to anybody not in your field of vision, and it's very
easy, if you're in a group, to ignore that your group Doctor is
under attack by a different target.

That is, until he screams bloody murder :)

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)