[MUD-Dev] Preference for host OS

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Sat Sep 8 23:35:54 CEST 2001

I don't want this to get into a religious war, but I'm curious about
anecdotal data when it comes to the preference in hosting operating
systems.  I'm doing some preliminary research right now, and the
obvious candidates seem to be:

  - Windows NT/2000 Server (expensive)
  - OpenBSD
  - FreeBSD
  - NetBSD
  - various forms of Linux (RH,Debian,Mandrake,SuSE, etc.)
  - Solaris (anyone bother?)
  - OS X server (doubtful since hardware is very expensive)

I'm sure there are MUDs that still run on AmigaDOS or OS/2 or
something, but I doubt they're mainstream =)

The factors that seem to be the crux of an OS choice are probably
price, robustness, security, performance, and ease of
installation/administration/development.  I've done some Linux
installs and, overall, they seem to be okay (RH and Mandrake).

So if people are willing to chime in about their choice of host OS
and, more importantly, why, I'd be very interested in hearing.

Thanks,

Brian