[MUD-Dev] Preference for host OS

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Mon Sep 10 21:16:46 CEST 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:36:37 -0600
brandon  <brandon at roguetrader.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 11:35:54PM -0700, Brian Hook wrote:

> The interface available with Sunscreen is far superior to the pain
> and headaches available with any other open-source firewall; which
> may share the same functionality.

ObNote: When I was at Sun I worked on EFS (later became
Sunscreen-lite IIRC).  Not a bad product.

> And solaris has a more mature implementation of kernel and OS
> threading and SMP (I'm running this on a dual P3/733).

When I was at Sun Solaris/86 was a definite bastard child subsisting
on rarely thrown scraps from the Solaris/SPARC table.  Internally to
Sun it was considered something of a joke.  I poked at the demo
installations at LinuxWorld/SF and was pleasantly surprised by how
far it had moved forward.  According to the Sun booth staff at
LinuxWorld there's a very active and professional YahooGroup for
Solaris/x86.  I do know there's a strong core of Solaris/x86 fans
and users on the UUASC mailing list (uuasc.org).

Writing as list owner:

  ObNote: There have been several replies to this thread
  commenting strongly against Solaris/86.  None of them have
  provided details or attempted to support their contentions.

--
J C Lawrence