[MUD-Dev] Benchmarking MUDs

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 02:08:11 CEST 2001

From: "Chris Gray" <cg at ami-cg.dyn.gno.org>
>> From: "Adam Martin" <ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com>

>> If anyone puts together a set of tests, and ensures they are
>> documented well enough to be unambiguous (and hence actually
>> useful), then I'm sure a lot of people will spring up who are
>> ready to start running them. Don't be put off by the
>> characteristic silence that often meets questing suggestions on
>> MD - suggestions which people do think are a good idea really,
>> but assume you know that and hence don't necessarily say so.

>> Personally, if a set of tests appears I'll happily run them
>> against what we're developing and post the results, if only out
>> of general interest.

> But, therein lies the problem. It's a matter of a few minutes for
> me to write some tests for the softcode system in my
> server. Similarly, it would take another few minutes for someone
> profficient in LPC to translate them to LPC. But, for many of the
> other tests discussed here, there is no easy solution - there is a
> lot of work involved in defining and creating them. So, we are
> probably in a catch-22 situation - people won't volunteer for this
> type of stuff unless there is enough interest, but people don't
> express interest unless there is an existing set of tests.

Sorry, to clarify, I'm assuming the tests were merely specified
fully - I don't expect someone else to come along and volunteer to
write a new test suite for my proprietary server core. If a set of
tests is defined clearly and unambiguously enough, I can code them
up reasonably quickly (if I couldn't, then I'd be running back to
the drawing board hitting myself over the head and asking why on
earth it was difficult to add new tests to my testing system? (and
assuming laziness or oversight somewhere in the dev team that needed
correcting before the code went to full test anyway!)).

Adam M.