[MUD-Dev] Preference for host OS

Alex fletchra at qsilver.queensu.ca
Tue Sep 11 07:20:35 CEST 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

> When I was at Sun Solaris/86 was a definite bastard child
> subsisting on rarely thrown scraps from the Solaris/SPARC table. I
> ... was pleasantly surprised by how far it had moved forward.

As a (potentially) interesting side note, a couple of friends of
mine work in a 'small' computing company, and they do all of their
development work on Solaris x86 machines because of the low hardware
cost, high reliability, and the fact that code requires no code
changes to run on Sparc Solaris.

Neither friend has had any complaints about Solaris x86 other than
the requirement for specific hardware and the lack of drivers for
everything under the sun (ala linux).  However, it was also noted
that as long as you get the hardware that is specified as being
supported, it's a breeze to install and run.

ae.